Saturday, August 21, 2010

Any Courtesy Clerks out there? How do you feel about your job?

Man, working as a courtesy clerk at Lucky's sucks. First off I hate my uniform, Lucky's is strict about our white shirt and tie. We have to wear a Lucky shirt with a Lucky tie and it has to be pulled up, top button buttoned or they send you home. I wish they would have polos. It is much easier to bag groceries in a polo and do all the hard work we do. The other day I got to work at 4pm and closed. It was hot outside and my manager put me on carts for 2 hours during our rush hour. It was almost 100 degrees out and I was sweating. I couldn't take off my tie and had to bring in tons of carts. I have had to do the same stint in the rain. During the rush hours bagging sucks, you have to be fast and efficient which is fine, but then the customers yell at you to do paper in plastic. We are required to offer carry outs on every order and to not ask if the customer wants help. We get written up if we just don't take the cart out. Customers get mad because of this policy and my manager is constantly making our lives a living hell. When you are assigned store sweep detail this means you spend an hour with a spray bottle spraying and wiping up every spot, taking out filthy garbage, and time spent on your hands and knees in bathrooms scrubbing the floors and toilets. Our manager used to be a drill sergeant literally so every courtesy clerk on the front end knows that you are ';under inspection'; all the time. We closers work until midnight and on a Friday night my fellow teenagers come in and like to make our lives a living hell. One night they knocked down 3 bottles of liquor. I had to sweep up all the glass, mop the floor and scrub the floor down until it was gone. It sucked. Another day someone pooped on the floor and I had to wipe it up. During the holidays, we have to carry out big Christmas trees and holiday displays, loading them on the customers car and doing a lot of stuff that just sucks. At the end of a shift and closing you are literally doing everything, and cleaning all the check stands, answering all bagging calls, working your butt off. Cashiers treat you like crap, and you are required to be obedient. We also have to wipe down all the windows, do go backs, and keep the parking lot clean. After a rain storm doing litter duty picking up people's crap left in carts sucks. Does anyone feel my pain? One time the dumpster overflowed and a bunch of trash leaked out. I had to spend 3 hours and 30 trash bags to get it cleaned up. I also had to clean up someone's vomit. All while wearing our uncomfortable uniform feeling like ****.Any Courtesy Clerks out there? How do you feel about your job?
The short answer is, you are right. That job bites. You basically have 1 of a couple of options: wither find something else or ask for a transfer to another store (say its closer to home or something like that). Maybe you can get a promo to an outside dept to get off the friont end. At the store I work at, we have the same policies, but its the store manager that makes the difference. He does what I call ';picks his battles';. He doesnt make a deal when someones shirt is untucked or silly small things like that. Getting written up is actually a rare occurance. he talks with his people before taking such a stand.Any Courtesy Clerks out there? How do you feel about your job?
I used to work at Albertson's as a bagger and fortunately I was fired (I was drinking a drink without a receipt on my person) last week. I had to wear a blue polo, dress pants, and black dress shoes. Not that bad, but not that great either... Anyways, the pay sucked ($6.55 per hour), the hours sucked (I'd have to beg other baggers for their shifts for anything more than 20 hours a week), and the job was terrible. Seriously. I worked with this guy who was 21 and had the IQ of a ten year old. He made exactly as much as me. I have nothing against handicapped people, but I think its total and utter BS that I'm doing twice as much work as this person and just because they're handicapped they get a pass. The whole experience was just terrible for me. Everyday I went into work it just felt like I was slowly grinding a cheese grader across my face in nine hour increments. Cart duties were ridiculous. They gave us a ten foot strap to pull carts around in the snow. (I live in Utah, lots of snow in Utah. Good for skiing not so much for pulling carts) You know what else was great? I was constantly almost being hit by cars. Want to know why? Drivers in Utah drive like ***holes. Worst job I've ever had.
Welcome to the wonderful world of having a job!!


Lol, you make it sound worse than it is though.


I was a courtesy clerk at albertsons when I was 17 for a year before they moved me up to the floral dept.


Its not that bad, In fact, youll miss it someday because its practically a zero responsibility job.


If you hate it so much, go to school so you dont have to spend the rest of your life working under someone who chose luckys as a career.


trust me, there are worse jobs out there.


Work hard and they will move you up fast, or as soon as you turn 18.


Use your crappy job as motivation, thats what I do!


(ive been at red lobster for a year)


have fun!!
its if that what you feel abot that job then what are you waiting for leave and go get another job! there are so many people who would take your place!
I totally know how you feel. I have been working at Safeway for almost a year and a half and will probably stay there another half a year. I have been a courtesy clerk this whole time and even though they say I deserve a promotion I dont think it will happen (my store dosent promote within). The work is hard and we dont get paid much but stick with it. Im sure you have some fun there. Also try doing carts in the summer in AZ in 114 degrees.
  • hair cutting
  • hair straightener
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment