Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I know I'm doing it right?

Currently, I'm attempting to use the book I was lucky enough to grab and learn from it, now the question is, how do I know I'm doing it right? The book is pretty informative so far and was written by Cheng Man-Chi'ing (Though, translated by someone else). Anyhow, I have read his beliefs in Tai Chi and so on and have made it to the forms/Part 2 of the book. The question is, how do I know I'm doing them right? I've started with the Preperation Form and moved towards the Beginning form. The next step seems a bit more complicated... ';Grasp the Sparrow's Tail (Ward Off With Your Left Hand)'; because it goes off of many different pages that continue on to different positions of the form. What should I do?How do I know I'm doing it right?
This is a classic example of why no one should try to learn martial arts from books. They cant correct your techniques or tell you when you developing a bad habit.





Reminds me of the guy who came into my dojo wearing a Gi and belt. The belt was tied wrong a,d something just did not feel right. He joined the class and immediately it was obvious that he did have a clue what he was doing. Yet he had this attitude that he was something special. He asked to spar with me. Seeing what was coming, I decided to let him spar with one of the lower belts. My lower belt student took him apart every time he moved. The new guy asked to spar me. I explained that if he could not do well with one of my beginners what made him think he would do better with me? The guy joined my class. He never wore his belt again. It was never mentioned. He became a good student and learned much. First he had to put aside his ideas about what was good martial arts and what was not. anyone that can do that will learn much. Those that can't only build a false sense of self worth. Their false confidence can get them killed in a real fight.





If you truly want to learn stop this nonsense and find a good instructor.





Good Luck!How do I know I'm doing it right?
No one can effectively learn martial arts from a book. Even in a one-on-one personal training with a Master can't guarantee that you'll do good in martial arts, what more from a book or a video? However a sure way to learn martial arts is definitely from someone who knows the art, because that way you get feedback that a book or video won't give you. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, size, comfort zone, all these should be taken into consideration when learning martial arts. The book you are holding might be catered more to experienced Tai Chi practitioners for example. Bottomline in learning martial arts, don't be like your Master, be Yourself...unless you both have the same strength, weight, height, speed, timing, etc...
This is why people cannot learn from books / videos. If you never train under proper instruction you will never know that you are not doing it correctly until it is too late. I recommend you find a qualified instructor and forgo the book route.
As a Kenpo instructor for too many years, I have to go with what Mr. Miyagi, of ';The Karate Kid'; said so many years ago: ';Cannot learn from book';. Go find your self a real instructor. Good luck.
It will feel right, as if your body is moving by itself without using your physical strength.


You body will move together as whole, as though your hands and feet, elbows, knees and hip as connected by power band.


At full extension, you will begin to feel the chi move through you, you fingers will experience a slight tingling.


Your breath will be coordinated with each movement.





If you have a chance to practice by the ocean, please do so and watch how the waves crash into the beach, ebb, and then reform and crash again without stopping and without worrying about being a wave.





This will come with practice.





May it be well with you.





One does the best one can with what one has. If all you have is a book, study from a book....if a school is available and you can afford the same then that might be best, however, one does what one can with what one has.





ADD: If masters did not think anyone could learn anything from a book then why did they write them? One can learn from a book however, from your own experience, you can see how some difficulties my arise however and again, one does the best one can with what one has to work with.





namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment