Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How would you file this?

I have ten categories to file using a system I found in a finance book. They call for 10 manila folders labelled 1 to 10.


1)Giving


2)Savings, Investments


3)Taxes


4)Shelter


5)Household


6)Auto


7)Fun


8)Insurance


9)Debt, Miscellaneous


10)Business Expenses


The materials I have are 24 seperate manila folders alternating in left, middle, and right tabs. 8 left, 8 middle, and 8 right tabbed. I also have one big accordion style folder with 24 seperations, it has all the letters of the alphabet, IJ - PQ - UV - WX and YZ are together. The first half of the accordion style has12 pages which list each of the month of the year, and there is a portion where you can write in your own Tab Name to the right of each folder. But the tabs are Placed in the folder so there'd be no way of writing them in by hand while making them still look neat and organized at the same time. How would you file the ten categories?How would you file this?
wowHow would you file this?
Use the accordian file and print labels to tape or stick to the write your own section.
dude, you are a little too anal, don't you think?
I would scan the documents then put them in sub-directories (folders) alphabetically.
This sounds like you have too many materials for your particular purpose. I would not use the Accordion folder with the 24 separations. It sounds too difficult to integrate into the 10 file -system. If you must use the Accordion, I would get file folder labels, or small address labels (Acco makes adhesive ones) and I would print or write my 10 files on the labels and stick them to the Accordion dividers. In doing this, I would give each of the 10 file separators 2 sections of the 24 in the Accordion. This leaves a few empties at the end, but you could just stick in your ';unfiled'; or ';to be filed'; items back there.





Still, I would avoid using the Accordion. Yes, it's nice because all of your 10 files would be together, but it does not fit this purpose. Rather, I would go with a simpler Accordion (without the calendaring or alphabetizing) or a file box to put the 10 files in by themselves. Look at these:
You could get labels on which you would write each category and then place the labels over the print on the tabs. I do it all the time in re-using manila folders. I don't have the accordion type file as I file things in my file cabinet. Cabinets are not all that expensive if you have the room for one.





And the type of system that you are talking about is an excellent way to keep on top of your finances. Some books even suggest that you take out your pay in cash and divide it up between the folders. Once the cash in a folder is gone, then spending on that category stops until the next pay day. I've never used such a system but I know people who do, and it has worked for them.





Getting organized and staying organized is a lot of work but worth the effort.
Go to OfficeMax and purchase the 10 manila folders just as the instructions in the ebook explains.
You have a computer, use it.
I didn't realize people were still using ';paper-based'; filing systems...we are in the 21st century.....
1. Financial, then sub divide giving, savings/investments, taxes.


Debt, misc. business Expenses


2. Household


3. Automotive


4. Insurance


5. Shelter? What the heck do you mean by shelter?





Then I would file the rest in the circular file, and get a better system.
I have mine set up as far as evrything split up. Such as, I have Electric/Gas (or split up if yours comes in two statements instead of together), Water, Satelite/Cable, Phone, Cell Phone, Internet(if you get a seperate bill), Auto Payment, Auto Insurance, Auto Repairs, Oil Changes, Fuel, House/Rent Payment, Home Maintence (If you own a home), Home Insurance, Household/Food (I put this together because you tend to buy household and food together, but you can split this up if you'd like), Charity/Tithing (I think that these go together when filing taxes), Savings Account statements (if more than one I seperate them), Investments (if more than one I seperate them), checking account statements if more than one I seperate them), Any credite cards I seperate, Medical Bills, Miscellaneous Bills, I also now use Quickbooks which is great for balancing accounts and being able to know how much you spend for each category and account. I can also help with payroll or budgets. And you can print many different reports. Its worth it and you will like it.
  • how to cut hair
  • myspace generators
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment